A student at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater
Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how
conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science
and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project,
he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total
elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide." And
for plenty of good reasons, since:
1) it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2) it is a major component in acid rain
3) it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4) accidental inhalation can kill you
5) it contributes to erosion
6) it decreases effectiveness of automobile breaks
7) it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients.
He asked fifty people if they supported the ban of the chemical.
Forty-three said yes. Six were undecided. Only one knew that the
chemical was water.
The title of the prize-winning project was, "How Gullible
Are We." He feels the conclusion is obvious.