The following MP3 audio files were recorded on June 28, 2006.
To listen, please right click on the
MP3 file you wish to hear and then select "Save Link As..."
or "Save Target As..." After you save the MP3 file to
your computer, you can then listen to the MP3 in your audio player
Rights Act 6-28-06 - MP3
Extension of the Voting Rights Act (VRA) of 1965 is being contested
on Capitol Hill. This week, for the first time, it became apparent
that extension of the VRA is not a certainty. There is a great deal
of debate about the consequences of an extension, or a failure to
extend. Does extension favor one political party, or at least help
preserve incumbency? Is there room for compromise on the bilingual
ballot issue? Must the pre-clearance trigger be updated in order
for the extended act to pass constitutional muster? These and other
questions will be discussed by panel of experts.
- Ms. Linda Chavez, Center for Equal Opportunity
- Ms. Julie Fernandes, Leadership Conference on Civil Rights
- Dr. Abigail Thernstrom, Vice-Chair of the U.S. Commission
on Civil Rights
- Professor Daniel Tokaji, Ohio State University School
- Mr. Erik S. Jaffe, Law Offices of Erik Jaffe, Moderator
Date: Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Location: The National Press Club